Dangerous Waste Treatment Storage Disposal Facility - Permit Renewal

What is the purpose of this renewal?
Permit renewals are only applicable to facilities that currently have a dangerous waste permit. Its purpose is to protect human health and the environment and to ensure that the facility knows what is required to be in compliance with the dangerous waste regulations.
Who issues this renewal?
Department of Ecology
What activities require this renewal?
The storing, treating and/or disposing of dangerous wastes in certain types of facilities. These permits apply to a limited number of facilities that store, treat, and/or dispose of dangerous wastes. The permit does not apply to businesses that generate dangerous wastes and transport them off-site before certain "accumulation" time limits are exceeded. The permit also does not apply to permit-by-rule and treatment-by-generator activities when the generator complies with required standards.

Any facility with a permit who wants to continue to operate after the permit expires must submit a new application 180 days before the expiration date of the effective permit. The application must be signed and certified by the owner and operator.
How much will this renewal cost?
There are no costs or fees associated with a permit renewal.
Where can I get the application for this renewal?
The application is called 'Dangerous Waste Application Requirements: Part A Form and Instructions' is online and can be accessed at https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/SummaryPages/ECY03031.html.
Do I need to include anything with my application?
Yes. The application must include:
  • Detailed procedures and methods for treating, storing, and/or disposing of dangerous waste.
  • Detailed engineering drawings of the facility.
  • Training plan.
  • Inspection plan.
  • Contingency plan.
  • Waste analysis plan.
  • Procedures to close the facility when operations cease.
Is the decision on my renewal dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
Yes, if you are applying for a significant expansion.
  1. You must submit a Notice of Intent to the Department of Ecology 330 days before your permit expires.
  2. You must demonstrate that the facility location meets siting criteria. Examples of siting criteria include setbacks from certain areas, such as residences, and excludes facilities from other areas, such as floodplains. If you cannot meet siting criteria, demonstrate that the changes result in an overall benefit to the environment.
  3. Show compliance with the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA).
Public comments may also affect the outcome of the decision on the permit.
How long will it take to review my application?
It takes two to three years to review and issue a renewed permit. However, it may take longer depending on the complexity of issues in the permit and availability of Department of Ecology staff.
Where do I submit my application?
Submit all information to the Department of Ecology at the address below.
View the schematic
How long is my renewal valid?
Usually ten years.
What is the appeal process for the renewal?
You have a right to appeal this permit to the Pollution Control Hearings Board (PCHB) within 30 days of the date of receipt of this permit. The appeal process is governed by Chapter 43.21B RCW and Chapter 371-08 WAC. “Date of receipt” is defined in RCW 43.21B.001(2). You must also comply with other applicable requirements in Chapter 43.21B RCW and Chapter 371-08 WAC. Read the Pollution Control Board’s Appeal Process web page for more details.
Legal Authority:
Where can I get permitting assistance?
Web page URL: https://ecology.wa.gov/Regulations-Permits/Permits-certifications/Dangerous-waste-permits
Department of Ecology
Hazardous Waste & Toxics Reduction Program
300 Desmond Drive
PO Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Telephone: (360) 407-6700
Fax: (360) 407-6715
Website: https://ecology.wa.gov/About-us/Get-to-know-us/Our-Programs/Hazardous-Waste-Toxics-Reduction
Triggering Questions:
  • Does the project involve renewal of a permit to treat, store or dispose of hazardous waste?
* Permit information last updated 8/22/2023