Permitting Services

ORIA’s environmental permitting resources can help you with projects large or small!


Online Permitting Assistance System

A tool to help you determine which environmental permits you might need for your project

Regulatory Handbook

The Regulatory Handbook contains information about local, state, and federal permits, approvals, and licenses for Washington state.

Permit Process Schematics

ORIA's permit process schematics illustrate the application, review, and appeal phases for specific permits. They show you step-by-step how various permit processes work.

ORIA Information Center

Contact us at 1-800-917-0043 or at if you don't know which permits are needed or you are looking for a specific permit. Our services are free.

Recommended Best Practices for Permitting

Permitting takes time and careful planning. So, before you draw any plans, dig any holes, or build any structures, think about how you can work with the permitting system. By doing this—and planning ahead - you’ll make getting the permits you need a whole lot easier.

We developed these best practices to help you avoid costly, time-consuming delays get it right the first time.


Frequently asked permitting questions

If you are looking for a water supply for a project or want to make changes to an existing water right, visit: and contact your regional Department of Ecology office with additional questions. 

To install a mooring buoy on state-owned aquatic lands, you will need authorization from the state Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR).   You may also need additional permits; however, this is the first step.  Residential landowners adjacent to state-aquatic lands may qualify for a free buoy.  If you don’t qualify for a free buoy, you can apply for a Mooring Buoy License.   For more information, visit DNR’s mooring buoy webpage, and for assistance, contact DNR at 360-902-1100 or via email at

 To apply: 

  1. Fill out the Joint Aquatic Resources Permit Application (JARPA) and Attachment E:  Click here for forms & attachments

  1. Use the JARPA Buoy Guidance to help you complete your application. 

  1. Before applying for any other permits, send your completed application and other documents to DNR. 

Mail your completed application with a $25.00 Application Fee to:

DNR, Aquatic Resources Division
Attn: Mooring Buoy Program
1111 Washington ST SE; MS: 47021
Olympia, WA 98501 

  1. DNR will review your application and contact you with any additional requirements, questions or provide you with your next steps. 

The Gold and Fish Pamphlet serves as the permit for freshwater mineral prospecting and mining activities as described in it. 
For more information, visit: and contact the Washington State  Department of Fish and Wildlife at 360-902-2200 with additional questions 

Typically, if you are doing work in or near water, a Shoreline permit is required from your local jurisdiction (city/county) planning department.  We recommend contacting them first as they should be able to assist you with any other required permits and would most likely be the lead agency if a State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) review is required. 

Depending on the location and other factors, a permit may be also be required from the following agencies: 

  • Department of Ecology

  • Department of Natural Resources 

  • Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife 

  • US Army Corp of Engineers 

  • US Coast Guard 

To streamline the environmental permitting process, several regulatory agencies joined together to create one application that can be used to apply for more than one permit at a time, titled: The Joint Aquatic Resource Permit Application or JARPA.   For more information, visit:

Environmental Permitting Publications

DescriptionFile NameCategoryDownload
Aquatic Permitting
Aquatic Permitting.pdf [ver. 4]
Biodiesel Facility Large Scale Environmental Permitting Fact Sheet
Biodiesel Facility Large Scale Environmental Permitting Fact Sheet.pdf
Biodiesel Facility Large Scale Table of Environmental Permits
Biodiesel Facility Large Scale Table of Environmental Permits.pdf [ver. 4]
Biodiesel Facility Small Scale Environmental Permitting Fact Sheet
Biodiesel Facility Small Scale Environmental Permitting Fact Sheet.pdf [ver. 4]
Broadband Projects Environmental Permitting Guidance
Broadband Projects Environmental Permitting Guidance.pdf [ver. 2]
Manufacturing Facilities - Common Environmental Reports
Manufacturing Facilities - Common Environmental Reports.pdf
Shoreline Permitting Guidance Docks/Piers/Floats/Lifts/Buoys
Shoreline Permitting Guidance.pdf [ver. 2]

Permit Schematics A - M

DescriptionFile NameDownload
Air Operating Permit (AOP)
Air-Operating-Permit-Schematics.pdf [ver. 3]
Air Quality Notice of Construction (NOC) Permit
Air-Quality-Notice-Of-Construction-Permit-Schematics.pdf [ver. 3]
Aquatic Use Authorization
Agricultural Field Burn Permit
Agricultural Pile Burn Permit
Land Clearing Burn Permit
Citizen Proponent Negotiation (CPN)
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Class 1 Modification (Requires No Prior Approval)
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Class 1 Modification (Requires Prior Approval)
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Class 2 Modification
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Class 3 Modification
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Modification Class Determination
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - New Permit
Dangerous-Waste-New-Permit-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Renewal
Dangerous-Waste-Permit-Renewal-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Fish Habitat Enhancement Project
Hydraulic Project Approval (HPA)
Industrial Stormwater Permit - Termination Process
Industrial Stormwater Permit - Transfer Process
Large On-Site Sewage System Operating Permit (Between 3,500 and 100,000 gpd)

Permit Schematics N - Z

DescriptionFile NameDownload
National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
New Water Right Permit Process
New-Water-Right-Permit-Process-Schematics.pdf [ver. 3]
Notice of Intent (NOI) and Siting Criteria
NPDES Construction Stormwater General Permit
NPDES Individual Permit
NPDES Industrial Stormwater General Permit
NPDES - Sand & Gravel Permit for Non-Portable Facilities and State Waste Discharge Permit
NPDES - Sand & Gravel Permit for Portable Facilities and State Waste Discharge Permit
Permit for Discharge of Dredge or Fill Material (Section 404)
Permit-For-Discharge-Of-Dredge-Or-Fill-Materials-Section-404-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Permit for Work in Navigable Waters (Section 10)
Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) - Air Quality Permit
Prevention-of-Significant-Deterioration-PSD-Air-Quality-Permit-Schematics.pdf [ver. 4]
Radioactive Air Emission Approval to Construct
Radioactive Air Emission Exemption from Approval to Construct and License to Operate
Radioactive Air Emission License to Operate New Facility or Modification of an Existing Source (New Construction or Abatement)
Radioactive-Air-Emission-License-Operate-Modify-Existing-Source-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Radioactive Air Emission Modification/Revision Approval to Construct (New Construction or Abatement Controls)
Radioactive-Air-Emission-Modification-Revision-Approval-To-Construct-Controls-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act Site Identification Number (RCRA Site ID)
Shoreline Conditional Use Permit and Variance
Shoreline Substantial Development Permit
State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) (For GMA Agencies)
State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) (For Non-GMA Agencies)
State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA)
State Wastewater Discharge Permit
US Army Corp of Engineers Administrative Appeal Process - Link G
US-Army-Corps-Of-Engineers-Administrative-Appeal-Link-G-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Water Conservancy Board - Change Existing Water Right
Water-Conservancy-Board-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
New Water Right Permit Process
Wetland Regulations
Wetland-Regulations-Schematics.pdf [ver. 4]
Due to this site being redesigned, any modifications to this site should be synced with v3

Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Questions? We’re here, in person, ready to help.

TXT/SMS us your question

Click to chat now


Call: 1-800-917-0043 (toll-free)

We welcome your questions and feedback, if we don't have the answer we will help you find someone that does.