Aquatic Lands Right of Entry License

What is the purpose of this license?
The Right of Entry License for state-owned aquatic lands is a short term license which allows certain activities that do not interfere with the use and enjoyment of the lands by others. The License does not convey any rights to exclusive use, so it may not be appropriate for some purposes.
Who issues this license?
Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
What activities require this license?
Activities that the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) commonly authorizes under this license are for recreational, scientific, or environmental purposes. The activity cannot interfere with the use and enjoyment of the state-owned aquatic lands by others.
How much will this license cost?
In 2011, for a recreational, scientific, or environmental Right of Entry License, DNR charges a $500 fee for the first year and $100 each year for up to four additional years. For commercial activities, DNR charges $1,000 for the first year and $500 each year for up to four additional years.
Where can I get the application for this license?
The application is called 'Attachment E in addition to the Joint Aquatic Resources Permit Application (JARPA)' is online and can be accessed at
Do I need to include anything with my application?
Depending on the activity, the aquatics land manager may state that you need to attach additional information.
Is the decision on my license dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
Yes, DNR staff will need to thoroughly review the site, other activities in the area, current laws and regulations for the type of activity, potential impacts based on the time of the year, and other considerations for the type of activity proposed.
How long will it take to review my application?
The review period is highly variable, dependent on the geographical area, the type of activity proposed, and the conditions at the proposed site. It is best to apply as far in advance as possible, up to one year ahead of the proposed activity. DNR may be able to review and approve some activities in a month; it depends entirely on the individual circumstance.
Where do I submit my application?
Send the application to the DNR Aquatic District Office in the area of the activity:
How long is my license valid?
It depends on the activity; DNR can authorize it for up to four years, but generally the term is for less than one year.
What is the appeal process for the license?
There is no official appeal process. However, DNR will work with you to see if adjustments to the activity or a different type of agreement would allow the proposal.
Related Entries:
Legal Authority:
Statewide Contact:
Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
1111 Washington Street SE
PO Box 47000
Olympia, WA 98504-7000
Toll Free: 1-800-527-3305
Triggering Questions:
  • Does the project include activities for short term recreational, scientific, or environmental purposes on submerged land managed by DNR?
  • Will construction materials come to the project site via barge?
* Permit information last updated 8/18/2016