Burn Permit - Agricultural Pile

What is the purpose of this permit?
The purpose of this permit is to allow for the burning of agricultural piles in a way that protects human health and the environment.
Who issues this permit?
Variable: See notes/comments for more information.
What activities require this permit?
If you are a commercial farmer and you are piling up agricultural vegetation to burn on land that is going to stay in agriculture, you must get a Pile Burn permit from Ecology. You may also use this application if you have a documented pest emergency. If you are a commercial farmer, you do not need a permit from Ecology for the following types of agricultural burning:
  • Annual orchard prunings.
  • Organic debris along fence lines.
  • Irrigation and drainage ditches.
  • Organic debris blown by the wind.
However, even if you don’t need a permit, you must still notify local fire authorities before you burn and follow all local fire safety regulations. You may not burn during an air pollution episode or any stage of impaired air quality (burn ban). . When you receive your burn permit, you must do the following BEFORE you burn:
How much will this permit cost?
A minimum of $80 for the first 80 tons; $1.00 for each additional ton.
Where can I get the application for this permit?
The application is called 'Agricultural Pile Burn Permit Application' is online and can be accessed at https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/summarypages/ecy020123.html.
Do I need to include anything with my application?
See the permit application instructions for details.
Is the decision on my permit dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
When making the decision on your permit, the permitting authority will consider the applicable laws and rules, the contents of your application, and the background environmental conditions.
How long will it take to review my application?
The permitting authority must act on a complete application (as determined by the permitting authority) within seven days of receipt. See WAC 173-430-040(5)(c).
Where do I submit my application?
If the Department of Ecology or a county conservation district issues the permit, submit the application to the address on the application.
If a local clean air agency issues the permit, follow the instructions on their application.
How long is my permit valid?
Pile burn permits are good from July 1 until June 30th. All pile burn permits expire on June 30th
What is the appeal process for the permit?
You have a right to appeal the permit to the Pollution Control Hearings Board (PCHB) within 30 days of the date of receipt of the permit. The appeal process is governed by Chapter 43.21B RCW and Chapter 371-08 WAC. “Date of receipt” is defined in RCW 43.21B.001(2). For permits issued by Ecology or a conservation district, please contact the issuing office to discuss the decision on your permit. For permits issued by a local clean air agency, contact that agency directly.
Notes / Comments:
Issuing Agency: The agency that issues these permits varies by location. The Department of Ecology issues the permits in the following counties:
  • Ecology Central Regional Office - Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, Okanogan Counties
  • Ecology Eastern Regional Office - Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Stevens, Walla Walla, Whitman Counties
  • Ecology Northwest Regional Office - San Juan County
For all other counties the agency that issues these permits varies, it would be one of the following:
  • The local clean air agency
  • County conservation districts
  • Tribes protect air quality in Indian country, with technical assistance from EPA.
Permit Application: If the Department of Ecology or a county conservation district issues your permit, use Ecology’s application. If a local clean air agency issues your permit, contact them for their application. If you need help, the state-wide contact listed above is a good resource.
Legal Authority:
Permit Timeliness Results

Permit Timeliness data collection is in response to a State Auditor’s Performance Audit and RCW 43.42A. Each regulatory agency developed a plan to improve permit clarity, predictability, and timeliness. Each agency considers the customers experience to ensure permit assistance is simple to use, easy to access, and designed in a customer-friendly manner. Agencies report progress to the Governor’s Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance (ORIA). ORIA prepares and distributes reports, with participation from the State Auditor’s Office and Results Washington. See latest report here: https://www.oria.wa.gov/ORIA-2020-PermitTimelinessProgressReport.pdf.

All permits submitted for reporting were entered into this Regulatory Handbook. Here are the results of the performance data:

Estimated Time Required By the Agency to Process a Permit Application (Definition)
Average number of days from Receipt to Complete: 1
Maximum number of days from Receipt to Complete: 6

Estimated Time Required By the Agency to Issue a Permit Decision (Definition)
Average number of days from Complete Application to Decision: 1
Maximum number of days from Complete Application to Decision: 1

(Summary results based on 153 submittals in 2023)

Where can I get permitting assistance?
Web page URL: https://ecology.wa.gov/Air-Climate/Air-quality/Smoke-fire/Agricultural-burning
Subject matter expert phone: Contacts vary by location. Visit Ecology’s Agricultural Burning and Permitting web page for contact information by county. If a county conservation district or a local air authority issues the permit, contact that office.
Department of Ecology
Air Quality Program
300 Desmond Drive
PO Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Telephone: (360) 407-6800
Fax: (360) 407-7534
Website: https://ecology.wa.gov/Regulations-Permits/Permits-certifications/Air-Quality-permits/Air-operating-permits
Triggering Questions:
  • Will you be burning stacked vegetative residue from an agricultural operation (farm) and keeping the land in agricultural use?
* Permit information last updated 1/10/2023