Nursery Dealer's License (Retail or Wholesale)

What is the purpose of this license?
To help support the fair and orderly trade of horticulture plants in Washington. To help protect the nursery industry, as well as the consumer, by ensuring horticultural plants offered for sale are free from infestation by pests and diseases, are properly labeled, and are not otherwise damaged or dying.
Who issues this license?
Washington State Department of Agriculture
What activities require this license?
A nursery retailer/wholesaler license is required for businesses that:
  • Sell or hold live plants or turf for planting, breeding, or decoration.
  • Perform landscaping and lawn maintenance which provides planting or installing new plants or turf.
Here are some examples of businesses that are required to be licensed:
  • Wholesale and retail nurseries, growers, and garden centers.
  • Landscapers who buy plants to install.
  • Landscapers who hold or grow plants for later sale or installation.
  • Maintenance companies who install plants for customers.
  • Brokers located in Washington who buy and sell, but do not hold plants.
  • Grocery and warehouse stores that offer plants for sale.
  • Pet and aquarium stores that sell aquatic plants.
How much will this license cost?
Nursery license fees are based on gross sales in horticultural plants and whether a person is a retail or wholesale nursery dealer. Persons who conduct both retail and wholesale business are required to obtain a license for the class of sales with the highest gross business. For the current fee, refer to the chart below:
    ClassAnnual Gross SalesCost
    Retailer$100 - $2,500$63.00
    $2,501 - $15,000$138.00
    Over $15,000$273.60
    Wholesaler$15,000 or under$138.00
    Over $15,000$273.60
Where can I get the application for this license?
The application is called 'Business License Application, Agriculture Addendum' is online and can be accessed at
Do I need to include anything with my application?
Payment is required with application.
Is the decision on my license dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
How long will it take to review my application?
The application is processed through the Department of Revenue.
Where do I submit my application?
Complete a Business License Application and Agriculture Addendum and submit, along with fees, to the Business Licensing Service:
How long is my license valid?
One year from the date of issuance.
What is the appeal process for the license?
Upon notice by the Department to deny, suspend, or revoke a license, a person may request a hearing under chapter 34.05 RCW, the Administrative Procedures Act.
Legal Authority:
Where can I get permitting assistance?
Web page URL:
Helpdesk phone: (360) 902-1874
Subject matter expert phone: (360) 902-1874
Subject matter expert email:
Washington State Department of Agriculture
Plant Protection Division
1111 Washington Street SE
PO Box 42560
Olympia, WA 98504-2560
Toll Free: 1-800-833-6388
Fax: (360) 902-2092
Telephone: (360) 902-1800
Triggering Questions:
  • Does your business sell or hold live plants or turf for planting, breeding or decoration or perform landscaping and lawn maintenance which provides planting or installing new plants or turf?
* Permit information last updated 11/18/2019