Commercial Fertilizer Registration

What is the purpose of this registration?
The purpose is to register fertilizer products for distribution in Washington State.
Who issues this registration?
Washington State Department of Agriculture
What activities require this registration?
No person may distribute in this state a commercial fertilizer until it has been registered with the Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA) by the producer, importer or packager of that product.

An additional registration requirement for waste-derived and micronutrient fertilizers was added to the fertilizer law in 1998. Waste-derived and micronutrient fertilizers must go through a Department of Ecology review before being registered by WSDA.
How much will this registration cost?
The application fee is $150 per product.
Where can I get the application for this registration?
The application is called 'Application for Registration of Commercial Fertilizer' is online and can be accessed at
Do I need to include anything with my application?
Yes, submit the following (originals to WSDA and keep copies for your file):
  • Form 4300A "Application for Registration of Commercial Fertilizers"
  • Remittance of $150.00 per product
  • Form 4300B "Commercial Fertilizer Product Registration"
  • Copies of laboratory analyses of the nine heavy metals for each product Market label
  • Ecology Questionnaire and related information for waste-derived and micronutrient fertilizers.
You can find these documents at:
Is the decision on my registration dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
Yes. There are additional documents required. See If your fertilizer is “waste-derived” or a “micronutrient fertilizer” the Department of Ecology may require further testing of your product.
How long will it take to review my application?
Once all requirements have been met (complete application submitted including required fees), the registration is normally issued within 60 business days. Waste-derived and micronutrient fertilizers may take up to 120 business days due to Department of Ecology review.
Where do I submit my application?
Washington State Department of Agriculture
Pesticide Management Division
PO Box 42591
Olympia, WA 98504-2591
How long is my registration valid?
Registrations are issued by the department for a 2-year period beginning on July 1 of a given year and ending 24 months later on June 30, except that registrations issued to a registrant who applies to register an additional product during the last 12 months of the registrant's period expire on the next June 30. Any registration approved by the director and in effect on the last day of the registration period, for which a renewal application has been made and the proper fee paid, continues in full force and effect until the director notifies the applicant that the registration has been renewed, or otherwise denied in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 15.54 RCW.
What is the appeal process for the registration?
Upon notice by the Department to deny or revoke registration, a person may request a hearing under Chapter 34.05 RCW, the Administrative Procedures Act.
Notes / Comments:
If you do not have access to the Internet, you may receive application information by contacting WSDA at (360) 902-2025 or
Legal Authority:
Where can I get permitting assistance?
Web page URL:
Helpdesk phone: (360) 902-2025
Subject matter expert phone: Brent Perry (509) 995-2786
Subject matter expert email:
Washington State Department of Agriculture
Registration Services
1111 Washington Street SE, NRB - 2nd Fl
PO Box 42589
Olympia, WA 98504-2589
Fax: (360) 902-2093
Toll Free: 1-877-301-4555
Triggering Questions:
  • Are you planning to distribute a commercial fertilizer in Washington State?
* Permit information last updated 8/14/2023