Water Type Modification

What is the purpose of this modification?
Forest landowners are encouraged to submit a Water Type Modification Form (WTMF) in order to make permanent changes to water type maps. The WTMF is not a permit. For more information, visit the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) website: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/forest-practices-water-typing.
Who issues this modification?
Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
What activities require this modification?
A WTMF is not required. It is a tool that can be used to make water type changes based on field verification. Prior to submittal of a forest practices application/notification, forest landowners are required to determine, in the field, the type of any regulated waters as identified in the forest practices rules (WAC 222) within proposed harvest boundaries, including the area within 200 feet of the proposal. In addition, field verified stream typing is required prior to placement or replacement of stream crossing structures for road construction or road maintenance.
How much will this modification cost?
There is no cost for submitting a WTMF. However, when submitting a WTMF in conjunction with a Forest Practices Application/Notification (FPA/N), appropriate fees are assessed for the FPA/N and are due at the time of submission. The fee schedule is available online: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/publications/fp_form_fpanfees.pdf.
Where can I get the application for this modification?
The application is called 'Water Type Modification Form' is online and can be accessed at http://www.dnr.wa.gov/publications/fp_form_wtmod.pdf.
Do I need to include anything with my application?
See WTMF instructions: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/publications/fp_form_wtmodinstruct.pdf.
Is the decision on my modification dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
Not applicable.
How long will it take to review my application?
There is not a set review period for WTMFs. If the WTMF is submitted with an FPA/N and directly affects the application, application time limits will apply per WAC 222-20-020.
Where do I submit my application?
WTMFs on forest land are received at the region office and reviewed for completeness. The region office scans complete WTMFs on DNR's Water Type Modification Database. The region emails reviewers including the Department of Ecology, the Department of Fish and Wildlife, and affected tribes.
How long is my modification valid?
The modification is valid if concurred by DNR, until otherwise changed. If concurred, it is a permanent change on the water type maps.
What is the appeal process for the modification?
WTMFs are not appealable unless associated with an FPA/N. In that case, appeals must be received by the Pollution Control Hearings Board within 30 days of the approval or denial of the application. See the Environmental and Land Use Hearings Office website for more information on appeals: https://eluho.wa.gov.
Notes / Comments:
WTMFs are not required by DNR and are not permits to be approved or disapproved. DNR will review the proposed water type changes and distribute to appropriate parties for review such as the Departments of Ecology and Fish and Wildlife, tribes, etc. Following review, DNR will concur or not concur.
Legal Authority:
Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
Forest Practices Division
1111 Washington Street SE
PO Box 47012
Olympia, WA 98504-7012
Telephone: (360) 902-1400
Fax: (360) 902-1784
* Permit information last updated 7/19/2022