Egg Handler/Dealer License

What is the purpose of this license?
The license also allows sale directly to the consumer at locations away from where the eggs are produced. So, you could add at the end of the sentence: and the consumer.
Who issues this license?
Business Licensing Service
What activities require this license?
Producing, handling, contracting for, obtaining possession, controlling, or processing eggs for sale.

EXCEPTION: The exception to the Egg Handler/Dealer License being required would be a producer only selling their eggs directly to the consumer at the production location.
How much will this license cost?
The license costs $30 for an initial location and $15 for each additional location. In addition, Business Licensing Services charges a $19 document handling fee.
Where can I get the application for this license?
The application is called 'Egg Handler/Dealer License' is online and can be accessed at
Do I need to include anything with my application?
  • Type of Ownership (Sole Proprietor, Corporation, etc.).
  • Business location and mailing address.
  • Owner names and addresses.
  • Social security number is required for all sole proprietors and spouse. It is also required for all partners, officers, and LLC members of businesses that will have employees.
  • Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN or FEIN) for legal entities (i.e., corporations, limited liability companies, etc.)
  • E-Check payment information (bank name, routing number, bank account type, type of account, etc.).
Is the decision on my license dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
The Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA), Food Safety Program will conduct an inspection following issuance of the license. Maintaining the license is subject to complying with WSDA food safety requirements.

Local health districts have jurisdiction over farmers markets in their areas and may conduct market inspections to assure vendor compliance with local rules and regulations.
How long will it take to review my application?
Applications submitted online take an average of 3 to 5 business days. Applications submitted by mail take an average of 7 to 10 business days.
Where do I submit my application?
Submit an application online at: Submit an application by mail to:
    State of Washington Business Licensing Service PO Box 9034 Olympia, WA 98507-9034
How long is my license valid?
The license is valid for one year - from January 1 through December 31.
What is the appeal process for the license?
Upon notice by the Department of Agriculture to deny, revoke, or suspend a license, a person may request a hearing under chapter 34.05 RCW, the Administrative Procedures Act.
Legal Authority:
Where can I get permitting assistance?
Web page URL:
Helpdesk phone: Business Licensing Service Helpdesk phone: 1-800-451-7985
Subject matter expert phone: WSDA Subject Matter Expert phone: 360-902-1939
Subject matter expert email: WSDA Subject Matter Expert email:
Washington State Department of Agriculture
Food Safety Program
1111 Washington Street SE
Olympia, WA 98504
Telephone: (360) 902-1876
Triggering Questions:
  • Does your business produce, handle, contract for, obtain possession, control, or process eggs for sale?
* Permit information last updated 7/27/2020