Export Sanitary Certificate

(For Transporting Processed Foods)
What is the purpose of this certification?
Export Certificates of Sanitation and Free Sale are issued for transporting processed foods into domestic and international markets.

These certificates are also known as Certificates of Free Sale, Sanitary Certificates, Certificates of Sanitation, and Certificates of Sanitation and Free Sale.

The Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA) issues export certificates for food products that are manufactured in Washington by a wholesale food processor licensed by the WSDA Food Safety Program.
Who issues this certification?
Washington State Department of Agriculture
What activities require this certification?
Transporting processed foods into domestic and international markets.
How much will this certification cost?
$75.00 per certificate.
Where can I get the application for this certification?
The application is called 'Request for Export Certificate of Sanitation and Free Sale' is online and can be accessed at https://cms.agr.wa.gov/getmedia/d14c027c-7b54-4a45-a0db-19e3a1581ac6/2089-requestforexportsanitarycertificate-rev-5-2018.
Do I need to include anything with my application?
Complete the request form with:
  • Country shipping to
  • Type of certificate requested
  • Product information
  • WSDA Licensed Processing plant name
Is the decision on my certification dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
See the Notes/Comments section below.
How long will it take to review my application?
Within 3 business days of receipt of request.
Where do I submit my application?
Email to fssanitarycerts@agr.wa.gov.
How long is my certification valid?
Each request is valid for the specific products and lot numbers listed in the certificate.
What is the appeal process for the certification?
Upon notice by the Department to deny or revoke a certificate, a person may request a hearing under Chapter 34.05 RCW, the Administrative Procedures Act.
Notes / Comments:
  1. All applicants must be currently licensed as either a food processing or milk processing plant in Washington State with WSDA under RCW 69.07.040 or 15.36.051.
  2. Sanitary certificate will be issued only to cover products listed on the license application or otherwise approved by WSDA.
  3. Products for certification must not be under embargo or litigation by WSDA, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, or other recognized public health authorities.
  4. An applicant must not be more than 90 days in arrears in paying for previous sanitary certificates issued.
  5. Any applicant that requests sanitary certificates must have been inspected by WSDA within the inspection frequency guidelines established by WSDA and must be in substantial compliance with applicable food safety and dairy laws and rules.
  6. Milk processing plants that request sanitary certificates for Grade A products must be in compliance with the Pasteurized Milk Ordinance, or Condensed and Dry Milk Ordinance, as applicable.
You can find examples of export certificates located at: https://agr.wa.gov/departments/food-safety/food-safety/export-certificates.
Legal Authority:
Where can I get permitting assistance?
Web page URL: https://agr.wa.gov/departments/food-safety/food-safety/export-certificates
Helpdesk phone: (360) 902-1876
Subject matter expert phone: (360) 902-1919
Subject matter expert email: FSSanitaryCerts@agr.wa.gov
Washington State Department of Agriculture
Food Safety Program
1111 Washington Street SE
Olympia, WA 98504
Telephone: (360) 902-1876
Email: foodsafety@agr.wa.gov
Website: http://agr.wa.gov
Triggering Questions:
  • Do you transport processed foods into domestic and/or international markets?
* Permit information last updated 12/9/2019