Underground Injection Control Well Registration

What is the purpose of this registration?
To protect ground water quality by regulating discharges from Underground Injection Control (UIC) wells. UIC wells are either rule authorized, meaning the ground water quality protection requirement is met, or the well will need a State Waste Discharge Permit. Examples of UIC wells that need to be registered:
  • A drywell.
  • Infiltration trench with perforated pipe.
  • Subsurface infiltration gallery.
  • Large on-site septic systems.
More information on underground injection wells.
Who issues this registration?
Department of Ecology
What activities require this registration?
Applicants who have installed or are planning to install an Underground Injection Control (UIC) well are required to register and the well receive rule authorization before the well is used. New wells need to be registered before use. Existing UIC wells that have not been registered with Ecology need to register as well (if on Tribal land register with EPA Region 10).
How much will this registration cost?
Where can I get the application for this registration?
The application is called 'Underground Injection Control Program Registration Form' is online and can be accessed at https://ecology.wa.gov/Regulations-Permits/Guidance-technical-assistance/Underground-injection-control-program/UIC-registration-requirements-information.
Do I need to include anything with my application?
Possibly. Most UIC owners only have to complete the registration form. Two of the registration forms require additional information along with the registration form.
Is the decision on my registration dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
No, in most cases the registration form provides enough information to decide if the well can be rule authorized. Regulations for UIC wells vary depending on their classification.
How long will it take to review my application?
Within 60 days after an application is received, a confirmation letter is sent to the applicant.
Where do I submit my application?
The registration form can be completed on line at Ecology's UIC Web Application. This is the preferred method. A Word version registration form is also available and should be submitted to the Water Quality UIC Program Coordinator. See address below.
How long is my registration valid?
The UIC rule authorization is good for the life of the UIC well unless:
  • The use of the well changes and the discharge from the well does not meet the ground water quality protection requirements.
  • The UIC well is closed.
  • There is an ownership change at the site.
Ecology needs to be notified if any of the above changes occur.
Notes / Comments:
If you need to register a few sites, complete the Web Application for each site. If several sites, or several wells, need to be registered, use the EXCEL spreadsheets and accompanied data dictionary. Contact the UIC Program coordinator for a copy. To notify the Washington State UIC Program of a change in well status please contact Ecology's Water Quality UIC Program coordinator. For well closure, see the UIC rule Chapter 173-218-120 WAC for closure requirements. To notify the Washington State UIC Program of an injection well closure complete the well closure form prior to closure.
Legal Authority:
Department of Ecology
Water Quality Program
300 Desmond Drive
PO Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Fax: (360) 407-6426
Telephone: (360) 407-6600
Website: https://ecology.wa.gov/About-us/Get-to-know-us/Our-Programs/Water-Quality
Triggering Questions:
  • Will the project include the installation of boreholes, sumps, dry wells, drainfields, or other devices used to put fluids into the ground?
* Permit information last updated 2/6/2018