State Wastewater Discharge Permit – Industrial to Publicly-Owned Works (POTW)

What is the purpose of this permit?
State waste discharge permits prevent the upset of wastewater treatment systems by limiting the discharge of pollutants. For more information see Ecology’s webpage on wastewater discharge permits in Washington Some local authorities issue these permits. See the notes/comments section at the bottom of this entry to find out what agency issues your permit.
Who issues this permit?
Variable: See notes/comments for more information.
What activities require this permit?
Industrial facilities that discharge wastewater to privately or publicly-owned wastewater treatment plants must obtain a state waste discharge permit unless it has obtained a pretreatment discharge permit issued by a delegated municipality.
How much will this permit cost?
Fees are determined according to chapter 173-224 WAC at

If your permit is issued by an agency other than Ecology, contact the agency directly for fees (see notes/comments).
Where can I get the application for this permit?
The application is called 'State Application - Industrial Wastewater to Municipal (Form 040-177)' is online and can be accessed at
Do I need to include anything with my application?
If Ecology issues your permit, the application may require more information on wastewater flows, treatment, diagrams, and test results. Ecology may also request more information during application review.
Is the decision on my permit dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
When making the decision on your order/permit, Ecology will consider the applicable laws and rules, the contents of your application, and the background environmental conditions.

In addition, the permitting process includes public review. This means that the public may submit comments to Ecology during the 30 day public comment period to support or oppose your proposed activity. If any comments are received, Ecology must review and respond to the comments and take them into consideration when making the decision to issue or deny permit coverage.
How long will it take to review my application?
Any person not exempt under WAC 173-216-050, who proposes to discharge waste materials into waters of the state or into a municipal sewerage system, must file an application with the department at least 60 days prior to discharging, or in the case of an expiring permit, at least 60 days prior to the expiration of the permit. See WAC 173-216-070(1). See the Permit Timeliness Results above for average processing times.
Where do I submit my application?
If your permit is issued by Ecology: Contact the permit coordinator in your region at
View the schematic
How long is my permit valid?
Permits are typically valid for five years.
What is the appeal process for the permit?
If your permit is issued by Ecology: You have a right to appeal this permit coverage to the Pollution Control Hearings Board (PCHB) within 30 days of the date of receipt of your decision. This appeal is limited to the general permit's applicability or non-applicability to an individual discharger (WAC 173-226-190(2)). The appeal process is governed by Chapter 43.21B RCW and Chapter 371-08 WAC. "Date of receipt" is defined in RCW 43.21B.001(2). To appeal, you must do the following within 30 days of the date of receipt of notice of coverage:
  • File your appeal and a copy of the permit cover page with the PCHB (see addresses below). Filing means actual receipt by the PCHB during regular business hours.
  • Serve a copy of your appeal and the permit cover page on Ecology in paper form - by mail or in person (see addresses below). E-mail is not accepted.
You must also comply with other applicable requirements in Chapter 43.21B RCW and Chapter 371-08 WAC.    Mailing Addresses:    Pollution Control Hearings Board    PO Box 40903    Olympia, WA 98504-0903    Department of Ecology    Attn: Appeals Processing Desk    PO Box 47608    Olympia, WA 98504-7608    Physical Addresses:    Pollution Control Hearings Board (PCHB)    1111 Israel Road SW, Suite 301    Tumwater, WA 98501    Department of Ecology    Attn: Appeals Processing Desk    300 Desmond Drive SE    Lacey, WA 98503
Notes / Comments:
Ecology oversees the approved pretreatment programs of municipalities that have been delegated pretreatment program authority. Ten Washington municipalities have approved publically owned treatment works (POTW) pretreatment programs and have been delegated pretreatment authority. These include:
3200 Cedar St. Everett, WA  98201
Ryan Wichert, (425) 257-8240
505 Swift Blvd. MS-27, Richland, WA 99352
Toby Billings, (509) 942-7485
Richland Pretreatment
500 Adams Street NE,  Olympia, WA  98501-6911
Julie Dufresne, (360) 664-2333
LOTT Pretreatment
Spokane County
1026 W. Broadway Avenue, 4th Floor, Spokane, WA 99260
Stela Matei-Rowley, (509) 477-7177
20816 44th Ave W. Ste. 230 Lynnwood, WA  98104
Jacob Bradley, (425) 670-5221
Spokane City
4401 N. Aubrey L. White Pkwy. Spokane, WA 99205
Angela Tagnani, (509) 625-4620
Metro / King Co.
201 S. Jackson Street, Suite 513,  Seattle WA  98104
Dana Heinz, (206) 477-5300
KCIW (with map)
2201 Portland Ave, P-1, Tacoma, WA  98421
Cassie Petty, (253) 502-2239
Tacoma Pretreatment
1015 S. Grey,  Pasco, WA  99301
Heath Bateman, (509) 544-3078
PO Box 1995, Vancouver, WA 98668-1995
Kevin Smithline, (360) 487-7177
Vancouver Pretreatment
Pierce County
930 Tacoma Avenue S. Tacoma, WA  98402
River Wan, (253) 798-3002
Pierce County Pretreatment
Walla Walla
572 Hatch Street, Walla Walla, WA 99362
Dara Osborne, (509) 524-4588
Port Angeles
321 E. 5th Street,  Port Angeles, WA  98362
David Freed, (360) 417-4692
Port Angeles Pretreatment
2220 E. Viola Ave., Yakima, WA 98901
Mike Price, (509) 249-6815
Yakima Pretreatment
P.O. Box 1249 Quincy, WA 98848
Samuel Snead, (509) 855-3360

This means that in these areas, the local authority will issue the permit. Where Ecology does not delegate full responsibility to implement the pretreatment program, Ecology will issue permits to users
Legal Authority:
Permit Timeliness Results

Permit Timeliness data collection is in response to a State Auditor’s Performance Audit and RCW 43.42A. Each regulatory agency developed a plan to improve permit clarity, predictability, and timeliness. Each agency considers the customers experience to ensure permit assistance is simple to use, easy to access, and designed in a customer-friendly manner. Agencies report progress to the Governor’s Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance (ORIA). ORIA prepares and distributes reports, with participation from the State Auditor’s Office and Results Washington. See latest report here:

All permits submitted for reporting were entered into this Regulatory Handbook. Here are the results of the performance data:

Estimated Time Required By the Agency to Process a Permit Application (Definition)
Average number of days from Receipt to Complete: 494
Maximum number of days from Receipt to Complete: 494

Estimated Time Required By the Agency to Issue a Permit Decision (Definition)
Average number of days from Complete Application to Decision: 36
Maximum number of days from Complete Application to Decision: 36

(Summary results based on 1 submittals in 2017, no data for current year)

Where can I get permitting assistance?
Web page URL:
Subject matter expert phone: Subject Matter Expert Contacts
Department of Ecology
300 Desmond Drive
PO Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Telephone: (360) 407-6000
* Permit information last updated 8/21/2023