Transient Accommodation License of Approval

What is the purpose of this license?
Transient accommodations are facilities that offer three or more lodging units to guests for periods of less than thirty days. Facilities include hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, resorts, inns, condominiums, crisis shelters, hostels, and retreats.

We inspect these facilities to ensure they meet state health and safety standards.
Who issues this license?
Department of Health
What activities require this license?
New facility that meets the definition of a Transient Accommodations, Change of ownership of a TA, an annual renewal, and referral of an unlicensed facility.
How much will this license cost?
License Fee: To apply for a transient accommodation initial license or to renew an annual license, an applicant or licensee must submit an initial or annual license renewal fee (fee amount is determined by number of lodging units).

3 – 10 lodging units: $198
11 – 49 lodging units: $395
50+ lodging units: $795

Late Fee: If the department does not receive the license renewal application and fee on or before the expiration date, a licensee must submit an additional late fee of sixty-six dollars ($66 regardless of number of units).

License Amendment Fee: If the licensee notifies the department of a change in the number of lodging units or the name of the transient accommodation in accordance with WAC 246-360-020(9), the licensee must submit an amended license fee of sixty-six dollars ($66 regardless of number of units).
Where can I get the application for this license?
The application is called ' Transient Accommodations License Application' is online and can be accessed at
Do I need to include anything with my application?
We must receive and process your completed application before your facility can be inspected for licensing or licensed for operation. Submit to the department:
  • Transient Accommodations License Application (PDF) completed and signed
  • License Fees
Is the decision on my license dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
The applicant operating a TA must pass, to the satisfaction of the department, a complete on-site inspection in addition to submitting a complete and accurate application for licensure.

Per WAC 246-360-020,
An applicant for initial licensure must submit to the department, sixty days or more before commencing business, an application which shall include the following:
(a) A completed application on a form provided by the department;
(b) A completed self-inspection on a form provided by the department;
(c) The fee specified in WAC 246-360-990;
(d) A completed uniform business identifier number form provided by the department; and
(e) Other information as required by the department.
How long will it take to review my application?
The program strives to complete inspections for licensure within thirty days.
Where do I submit my application?
PO BOX 1099
How long is my license valid?
Transient accommodations licenses are valid for one calendar year from the date of inspection approval and must be renewed annually.
Legal Authority:
Where can I get permitting assistance?
Web page URL:
Helpdesk phone: 360-236-3393
Publications: Resource Book for Chapter 246-360 WAC (Washington State Department of Health)
Other: Technical Assistance is offered to any applicant by all program team members including inspectors, program supervisor,licensing lead, and support staff via email and phone.
Department of Health
Office of Environmental Health and Safety
Environmental Public Health Division
PO Box 47824
Olympia, WA 98504
Telephone: (360) 236-3393
* Permit information last updated 10/26/2022