Winery General Permit

What is the purpose of this permit?
To ensure that winery wastewater does not pollute groundwater or damage wastewater treatment infrastructure via land treatments, discharges to wastewater treatment plants, or other allowable discharge methods. This permit is required under state water quality law: the State Water Pollution Control Act.
Who issues this permit?
Department of Ecology
What activities require this permit?
Discharges of winery process wastewater to land, groundwaters, or to a wastewater treatment plant, with some exceptions, require coverage under this permit.  The exceptions for permit coverage are stated in Special Condition S1 of the Winery General Permit.  The following are examples of exceptions (do not require permit coverage).
  • Home manufacturing of alcoholic beverages.
  • A facility that exclusively produces mead or hard cider.
  • A facility that produces less than 7,500 cases of wine or juice per calendar year, for a typical year.
  • A facility that discharges less than 53,505 gallons of winery process wastewater per calendar year, for a typical year.
How much will this permit cost?
Permit fees are set by rule and are found in Chapter 173-224 WAC (see Aggregate Production --General Permit coverage A - C). Fee amounts can change, so please consult the WAC or call your Ecology Regional Office for the current amount.
Where can I get the application for this permit?
The application is called 'Electronic Notice of Intent (NOI)' is online and can be accessed at
Do I need to include anything with my application?
No, unless you are unable to submit your application electronically. In this case, you must submit, and Ecology must approve, an Electronic Reporting Waiver before you submit your application.
Is the decision on my permit dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
When making the decision on your order/permit, Ecology will consider the applicable laws and rules, the contents of your application, and the background environmental conditions.

Permit coverage cannot be issued to a new facility unless applicable State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) requirements have been satisfied. SEPA review, city permits, and county permits must include all the activities that the facility will perform.

A complete application must also include certification that the public notice requirements have been met. If comments are received during the public comment period, Ecology must review and respond to the comments and take them into consideration when making the decision.
How long will it take to review my application?
See the Permit Timeliness Results for average processing times.
Where do I submit my application?
You are required to use the electronic Notice of Intent application (eNOI) and submit it to Ecology over the internet. If you do not have internet access, please contact Ecology for the Electronic Reporting Waiver.
How long is my permit valid?
Ecology reissues all winery permits every five years. All facilities with permit coverage must reapply for coverage 180 days before the expiration date. The current permit expires on July 1, 2024.
What is the appeal process for the permit?
An applicant or any interested party has a right to appeal this permit decision to the Pollution Control Hearings Board (PCHB) within 30 days of the date of receipt of this permit. The appeal process is governed by Chapter 43.21B RCW and Chapter 371-08 WAC. “Date of receipt” is defined in RCW 43.21B.001(2).

You must also comply with other applicable requirements in Chapter 43.21B RCW and Chapter 371-08 WAC.

Read the Pollution Control Board's Appeal Process web page for more details.
Legal Authority:
Where can I get permitting assistance?
Web page URL:
Other: State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA)
Department of Ecology
Water Quality Program
300 Desmond Drive
PO Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Fax: (360) 407-6426
Telephone: (360) 407-6600
* Permit information last updated 8/14/2023