Vessel Deconstruction General Permit

What is the purpose of this permit?
The Vessel Deconstruction General Permit is a National Pollution Discharge Elimination System permit that regulates the deconstruction of vessels. The permit controls the discharge of pollutants from stormwater, drydock floodwater, and non-stormwater discharges associated with vessel deconstruction activities into waters of the state.
Who issues this permit?
Department of Ecology
What activities require this permit?
Any deconstruction activities involving dismantling any portion of a vessel hull, topside, or superstructure while the vessel is over water, on a drydock, or on a barge.
How much will this permit cost?
Permit fees are set by rule and are found in Chapter 173-224 WAC (see Vessel Deconstruction). Fee amounts can change, so please consult the WAC or call your Ecology Regional Office for the current amount.
Where can I get the application for this permit?
The application is called 'Notice of Intent - Vessel Deconstruction Permit' is online and can be accessed at
Do I need to include anything with my application?
Yes, Ecology must receive the documents below to consider the application complete.
  • Solid Waste Disposal Plan
  • Deconstruction and Site Management Plan
  • Verification of hazardous materials testing for all anticipated waste streams

If your site discharges to an impaired waterbody on the state's 303(d) list, Ecology may require additional documentation before issuing permit coverage and these sites may be subject to additional requirements.

Note: A new facility applying for coverage under this permit must publish a public notice announcement, once each week for two consecutive weeks (twice), at least seven days apart, in a newspaper of general circulation within the county in which the discharge is proposed. Coverage may be issued 30 days after the second public notice.
Is the decision on my permit dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
If your site discharges to an impaired waterbody on the state's 303(d) list, Ecology may require additional documentation before issuing permit coverage.

Applicable State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) requirements must be satisfied.

Ecology must review and respond to any public comments and consider them when making the decision to issue or deny permit coverage.
How long will it take to review my application?
See the Permit Timeliness Results below for average processing times.
Where do I submit my application?
Washington Department of Ecology
Water Quality Program - Vessel Deconstruction
PO Box 47696
Olympia, WA 98504-7696
How long is my permit valid?
Ecology reissues all vessel deconstruction general permits every 5 years. All facilities with permit coverage must reapply for coverage 180 days before the expiration date. The current permit expires on December 5, 2024.
What is the appeal process for the permit?
An order, permit, license, or decision can be appealed within 30 days from the “date of receipt” of the decision. The appeal process is governed by RCW 43.21B and WAC 371-08. “Date of receipt” is defined in RCW 43.21B.001(2). Get more information on the Pollution Control Hearings Board web page.
Legal Authority:
Where can I get permitting assistance?
Web page URL:
Publications: Focus On: Vessel Deconstruction
Statewide Contact:
Department of Ecology
300 Desmond Drive
PO Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Telephone: (360) 407-6000
* Permit information last updated 2/14/2023