Aquatic Use Authorization

(Aquatic Lands Lease)
What is the purpose of this authorization?
To protect and manage the use of state-owned aquatic lands, consistent with Chapter 79.105 RCW.
Who issues this authorization?
Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
What activities require this authorization?
Most activities taking place on state-owned aquatic lands may require a lease. Contact your District Land Manager to determine if your proposal requires other forms of authorization.
How much will this authorization cost?
It depends on the type of agreement your proposal requires. You may be charged rent or fees depending on the activity. Rates are found in:
Where can I get the application for this authorization?
The application is called 'Attachment E in addition to the Joint Aquatic Resources Permit Application (JARPA)' is online and can be accessed at
Do I need to include anything with my application?
Yes, submit a $25 non-refundable application processing fee with JARPA and Attachment E. DNR may also require surveys or a legal description of the property, a plan of development/operations, bonds, insurance, etc. The project may also require additional permits as required by other governmental agencies, such as permits contained in the Joint Aquatic Resources Permit Application (JARPA). It's extremely important for you to submit all that is required to avoid delays in the application review process.
Is the decision on my authorization dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
Yes, you must complete all other government permits or permit waivers before an authorization can be issued. For example, if the project requires a SEPA decision, and a Hydraulic Project Approval in addition to the use authorization, those processes must be complete before DNR can issue a decision.
How long will it take to review my application?
Review time generally takes between 6 months to a year after DNR receives a complete application.

The DNR Aquatic District Office will send your application to the project site Land Manager for review. The Land Manager will review the proposed uses for your project and will confirm if land is available to lease.

If the Land Manager approves your application, you will receive a draft of the use authorization and the Land Manager may schedule a meeting to negotiate the terms of the agreement. Once the agreement is final, DNR will send you a signature packet to complete and return.
Where do I submit my application?
To the DNR Aquatic District Office along with your $25 processing fee.
View the schematic
How long is my authorization valid?
It depends. The duration of your use authorization will depend on the proposed uses and the class of land you lease. The land classes are: Bedlands, 1st class tidelands and shorelands, 2nd class tidelands and shorelands, and Harbor Areas. Use authorization durations are specified under RCW 79.115 through RCW 79.135.
What is the appeal process for the authorization?
There is no appeal process for the authorization, but DNR staff will work with you to help find either an agreement type that will work for your proposal or recommend modifications to your activity to make it compatible with DNR's stewardship mandate.
Related Entries:
Notes / Comments:
JARPA and Attachment E are also available through the DNR Aquatic District Office or Aquatic Resources Division.
Legal Authority:
Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
Aquatic Resources Division
1111 Washington Street SE
PO Box 47027
Olympia, WA 98504-7027
Telephone: (360) 902-1100
Fax: (360) 902-1786
Triggering Questions:
  • Does the project include construction, use or activities on submerged land that are under the management of DNR?
  • Will the lift be on or over DNR-managed aquatic lands?
  • Will the dock be on or over DNR-managed aquatic lands?
  • Does the project include construction, use or activities on or above DNR-managed aquatic land?
  • Will the mooring buoy be on or above DNR-managed aquatic land?
  • Will the project include beach nourishment?
* Permit information last updated 2/6/2018