Forest Practices Permit

What is the purpose of this permit?
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) regulates forest practices on private and state forest land. A permit is not required for every forest practice, but the forest practice rules must be followed when conducting all forest practices activities. Some counties and cities issue permits for harvests converting forest land to other uses. DNR permits for forest conversions are not required in: Clark, Cowlitz, King, Kitsap, Mason Pierce, Snohomish, Spokane, Thurston and Whatcom counties and the cities of: Arlington, Bonney Lake, Bothell, Everett, Federal Way, Lacey, Lake Stevens, Mill Creek, Monroe, Mt. Vernon, Olympia, Port Townsend, Poulsbo, Tumwater and University Place.
Who issues this permit?
Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
What activities require this permit?
Forest Practices that may require a permit include: harvesting timber, salvaging standing and down wood, constructing forest roads, opening or expanding a rock pit on forest land for forestry use, operating in or over any typed water and applying forest chemicals with an aircraft.
How much will this permit cost?
Fees vary between $0 and $1500 depending on activity (see notes). The DNR application fee is due at the time of application. Make the check payable to "Department of Natural Resources".
Where can I get the application for this permit?
The application is called 'Forest Practices Application/Notification' is online and can be accessed at
Do I need to include anything with my application?
The requirements are detailed in DNR’s forest practices application instructions available on the website Applicants should read the instructions as they fill out the forms. The application must be signed.
Is the decision on my permit dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
Circumstances requiring special resource protection such as unstable soils, threatened or endangered species, archaeological or historic sites, work in type S or F waters, water quality protection and/or special prescriptions for sensitive areas within a watershed analysis unit may affect the permit decision.
How long will it take to review my application?
DNR has 30 to 60 calendar days to review FPAs depending on the type of application. FPAs that require concurrence review for hydraulic projects take up to 60 days. Examples of high quality hydraulic project plan designs are available for reference on the DNR website at:
Where do I submit my application?
Applications are received at the region office and reviewed for completeness. The region office scans complete applications on the DNR's Forest Practices Review System (FPARS) Applications are posted on the internet and available to registered reviewers. Reviewers include the departments of Ecology, Fish and Wildlife, the county/city/town, and affected Indian tribes.
How long is my permit valid?
Standard is 3 years. Multi-year permits are valid for 4-5 years. Either may be renewed for one additional three year period if the proposal has not changed, there are no outstanding enforcement issues, and the rules and laws affecting the proposal have not changed.
What is the appeal process for the permit?
Appeals must be received by the pollution Control hearings Board within 30 days of the approval or denial of the application. See the Environmental and Land Use Hearing Office website at
Notes / Comments:
Forest Practices fees are charged only if timber harvesting is proposed, including salvage of snags, down wood, dying trees, or stumps. Make checks payable to "Department of Natural Resources." The fee is $150 for harvesting timber, salvaging wood, or selling wood and you are not converting the land to a use incompatible with growing timber. The fee is $150 for renewing an approved application or notification. The fee is $100 for small forest landowners that have harvested no more than an average volume of two million board feet per year during the previous three years, AND if the forest practices application/notification is for a single contiguous ownership of one or more parcels. See FPA/N question 3 instructions for more information. The fee is $1500 if you are harvesting timber, and
  • Converting the land to a use incompatible with growing timber; OR
  • The forest land is located inside city limits or urban growth boundary.
EXCEPT the fee is $150 if the landowner provides:
  • A letter signed by the landowner stating that the landowner will not convert the land to a non-commercial forestry use for 10 years AND a written forest management plan approved by DNR; OR
  • A Conversion Option Harvest Plan (COHP) approved and signed by the city or county.
The fee is $0 if your forest practices permit does not involve harvesting timber, salvaging wood, or selling wood. Application/Notification fees are no longer refundable. The fee will be charged again when resubmitting an FPA/N more than 45 days after the application has been withdrawn. Beginning December 30, 2013, forest landowners will only need one permit instead of two to conduct their hydraulic projects on forest lands. Hydraulic projects are those carried out in water, like the construction, removal, or replacement of a culvert or bridge. Hydraulic Project Approvals (HPAs) will no longer be necessary for such projects if they are on forest land. Forest landowners planning to conduct these hydraulic projects are strongly encouraged to: Reference: RCW 76.09.065 and 76.09.450
Legal Authority:
Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
Forest Practices Division
1111 Washington Street SE
PO Box 47012
Olympia, WA 98504-7012
Telephone: (360) 902-1400
Fax: (360) 902-1784
Triggering Questions:
  • Does the project involve cutting trees, constructing forest roads, creating or expanding rock pits, applying chemicals, salvaging standing or down wood?
  • Will any part of the project take place on state or private forest lands?
* Permit information last updated 9/7/2023