Reporting Requirement for a Spill or Release of a Hazardous Substance

What is the purpose of this requirement?
Prompt notification to Ecology is required when spills or releases of hazardous substances occur that impact water or have the potential to impact human health or the environment. Responsibility for reporting spills lies with the person who spills or releases the substance, however, any person aware of such spills is encouraged to contact Ecology.
Who issues this requirement?
Department of Ecology
What activities require this requirement?
Spilling or releasing oil or a hazardous substance.
How much will this requirement cost?
There is no cost to reporting a spill. However, failing to report a spill of oil or hazardous substances in some instances might result in penalties.
Do I need to include anything with my application?
When reporting a spill, please be ready with the following information: Where is the spill? What spilled? How much spilled? How concentrated is the spilled material? Did the spill impact surface or ground water? Who spilled the material? Is anyone cleaning up the spill? Are there resource damages? Who is reporting the spill? How can Ecology get back to you?
Notes / Comments:
To report a spill 24 hours a day, contact the National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802 and Washington State at 1-800-258-5990 (alternatively, 1-800-OILS-911 can be used to notify Washington State). Spillers are required to notified both the National Response Center and Washington State.
Legal Authority:
Department of Ecology
300 Desmond Drive
PO Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Telephone: (360) 407-6000
* Permit information last updated 11/7/2022