Auto Body Shops (General Order)

What is the purpose of this general order?
The Department of Ecology (Ecology) issues general orders to businesses in their jurisdiction to make sure Washington meets state and federal air quality requirements. We issue general order permits to commercial sources of air pollution. A general order is a category of permit that simplifies the New Source Review (NSR) air permitting process. When several sources of air pollution are similar, we can issue a streamlined NSR permit (or “general order”) for sources in that category, rather than a series of full NSR individual permits. Currently, there are seven categories of general orders for air pollution that come from commercial sources.

If you apply for a general order and we approve it, we will issue an individual Coverage Order for your facility under that specific General Order.
Who issues this general order?
Department of Ecology
What activities require this general order?
Any auto body shop proposing to operate in the following counties:
  • Adams
  • Asotin
  • Chelan
  • Columbia
  • Douglas
  • Ferry
  • Franklin
  • Garfield
  • Grant
  • Kittitas
  • Klickitat
  • Lincoln
  • Okanogan
  • Pend Oreille
  • San Juan
  • Stevens
  • Walla Walla
  • Whitman
This includes chemical pulp and paper mills, aluminum smelters, and the Hanford Reservation site.
    If the county you would like to operate in is not listed here, please visit the Washington Clean Air Agencies webpage to get the correct contact information.
      Facilities that don’t meet the criteria for a general order will need to apply for an individual Notice of Construction permit.
        If you own or operate the type of business below and already have a valid air permit from a local clean air agency, we will accept that permit if it was issued after July 1, 2010 and complies with the other portable relocation requirements in WAC 173-400-036.
        • Portable asphalt plants
        • Portable concrete plants
        • Portable rock crushers
        • Non-road engines used to power these operations
        How much will this general order cost?
        See the application for fee information.
        Where can I get the application for this general order?
        The application is called 'General Order Application: Automobile Body Repair and Refinishing Shops' is online and can be accessed at
        Do I need to include anything with my application?
        See the application instructions for what to include in your application.
        Is the decision on my general order dependent on anything besides the information in my application?
        When making the decision on your order, Ecology will consider:
        • The applicable laws and rules.
        • The contents of your application.
        • The background environmental conditions.
          Facilities that don’t meet the criteria for a general order will need to apply for the individual Notice of Construction permit.
          How long will it take to review my application?
          Ecology has 30 days to determine if your application is complete. Applicants should receive a Coverage Order for the General Order 30 days after Ecology receives the complete application.
          Where do I submit my application?
          Send your complete application package to the address provided on the application.
          How long is my general order valid?
          The General Order is valid for the life of the facility or until the source either modifies the equipment or its practices.
          What is the appeal process for the general order?
          You have the right to appeal the order to the Pollution Control Hearings Board (PCHB) within 30 days of the date of receipt of the order. The appeal process is governed by Chapter 43.21B RCW and Chapter 371-08 WAC. “Date of receipt” is defined in RCW 43.21B.001(2). You must also comply with other applicable requirements in Chapter 43.21B RCW and Chapter 371-08 WAC. Read the Pollution Control Board’s Appeal Process web page for more details.
          Related Entries:
          Notes / Comments:
          The agency that issues these general orders varies by location. If your county is not listed below, visit the Local Clean Air Agency website to see which agency covers your location. The Department of Ecology issues the general orders in the following counties:
          • Ecology Central Regional Office - Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, and Okanogan counties
          • Ecology Eastern Regional Office - Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, San Juan, Stevens, Walla Walla, and Whitman counties
          Legal Authority:
          Permit Timeliness Results

          Permit Timeliness data collection is in response to a State Auditor’s Performance Audit and RCW 43.42A. Each regulatory agency developed a plan to improve permit clarity, predictability, and timeliness. Each agency considers the customers experience to ensure permit assistance is simple to use, easy to access, and designed in a customer-friendly manner. Agencies report progress to the Governor’s Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance (ORIA). ORIA prepares and distributes reports, with participation from the State Auditor’s Office and Results Washington. See latest report here:

          All permits submitted for reporting were entered into this Regulatory Handbook. Here are the results of the performance data:

          Estimated Time Required By the Agency to Process a Permit Application (Definition)
          Average number of days from Receipt to Complete: 42
          Maximum number of days from Receipt to Complete: 226

          Estimated Time Required By the Agency to Issue a Permit Decision (Definition)
          Average number of days from Complete Application to Decision: 41
          Maximum number of days from Complete Application to Decision: 54

          The general order permits are not tracked individually so the results are combined for General Order of Approval for: Asphalt Plants, Auto Body Shops, Concrete Batch Plants, Dairy Manure Anaerobic Digesters, Gas Fired Emergency Electrical Generators, Perchloroethylene Dry Cleaners, Small Boilers Using Natural Gas, Propane, or Diesel Fuel, and Stationary or Portable Rock Crushers.

          (Summary results based on 6 submittals in 2023)

          Where can I get permitting assistance?
          Web page URL:
          Department of Ecology
          Air Quality Program
          300 Desmond Drive
          PO BOX 47600
          Olympia, WA 98504-7600
          Telephone: (360) 407-6000
          Triggering Questions:
          • Will you have a commercial or industrial facility that emits air pollutants that Ecology has determined impact air quality and warrant regulation?
          • Do you emit criteria air pollutants below 100 tons/year, toxic air pollutants below 10 tons/year or 25 tons/year in aggregate to the outside air? (Criteria air pollutants include total particulate, PM10, CO, NOx, SOx, VOC, or Lead)
          * Permit information last updated 8/14/2023