What is the purpose of this permit?
The permit authorizes for hire operators to operate for hire vehicles.
What activities require this permit?
Any individual or business that transports passengers for a fee must have a For Hire permit, including:
- Taxicabs, which are motor vehicles that transport people for a fee and don’t have a fixed route or fixed starting and ending points.
- Cabulances that transport riders who are confined to a wheelchair or otherwise physically restricted so they can’t be safely transported by public mass transportation, taxicabs, or automobiles.
- Any other vehicles used for transporting passengers for payment.
How much will this permit cost?
Taxi/ For-hire operator permit: $110
For Hire vehicle (per vehicle): $55
Taxi Meters (per meter): $25
Cities, counties, and port districts may license, control and regulate all for hire vehicles operating within their respective jurisdictions. If there is a license fee assessed by a local jurisdiction, an applicant does not pay the $110 permit fee. Individual and businesses in these local jurisdictions are still required to apply for a Department of Licensing (DOL) Taxi/ For Hire permit and vehicle/meter fees apply.
Do I need to include anything with my application?
Submitted applications must include a signed addendum (https://dor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/Docs/forms/BLS/700200.pdf
); vehicle registration certificates (https://www.dol.wa.gov/business/taxis/docs/taxi-registration-sample.pdf
) and certification of liability insurance.
How long will it take to review my application?
Estimated processing time for a completed application is 15 business days.
Where do I submit my application?
Taxi/For Hire permit applications are submitted to the Department of Revenue Business Licensing Services (DOR) and jointly processed by DOL and DOR.
Apply online with the Department of Revenue (dor.wa.gov
You will need:
- A valid email address, if you'd like your license and vehicle certificates emailed to you for faster service
- Supporting documents shown below, ready for upload.
- Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit/debit card (transaction fee charged) or bank account information for E-check to pay:
- Applicable BLS fees
- For Hire license, vehicle certificate, and taxi meter fees
Apply by mail
- Complete or obtain the following:
- Mail the completed forms and supporting documents with a check/money order payable to the Department of Revenue for the BLS fees and the for hire license, vehicle certificate, and taxi meter fees to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507–9034
Permit Timeliness Results
Permit Timeliness data collection is in response to a State Auditor’s Performance Audit and RCW 43.42A. Each regulatory agency developed a plan to improve permit clarity, predictability, and timeliness. Each agency considers the customers experience to ensure permit assistance is simple to use, easy to access, and designed in a customer-friendly manner. Agencies report progress to the Governor’s Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance (ORIA). ORIA prepares and distributes reports, with participation from the State Auditor’s Office and Results Washington. See latest report here: https://www.oria.wa.gov/ORIA-2020-PermitTimelinessProgressReport.pdf.
All permits submitted for reporting were entered into this Regulatory Handbook. Here are the results of the performance data:Estimated Time Required By the Agency to Process a Permit Application (Definition)Average number of days from Receipt to Complete: 16.3Maximum number of days from Receipt to Complete: 150Estimated Time Required By the Agency to Issue a Permit Decision (Definition)Average number of days from Complete Application to Decision: 1Maximum number of days from Complete Application to Decision: 1
(Summary results based on 627 submittals in 2023)
Where can I get permitting assistance?
Subject matter expert phone: (360) 664-6466
Subject matter expert email: email@example.com