When you're trying to figure out how to permit a mooring buoy, or which permits you need to repair your dock, or you're trying to understand what a SEPA determination is, we're here to help you.

Sometimes it is a simple answer or clarification that you need, other times you might need help researching complex permitting that is regulated by several different state, local, and federal agencies - we are here to help you with all of the above. Our friendly team can help projects of all sizes, they will work with you to create a road map for your specific permit process.

Our goal is to make sure you have the information you need in a timely manner so you can be successful.

Permitting services

ORIA’s environmental permitting resources can help you with projects large or small!

Best Practices for Permitting

Permitting takes time and careful planning. So, before you draw any plans, dig any holes, or build any structures, think about how you can work with the permitting system. By doing this - and planning ahead - you'll make getting the permits you need a whole lot easier. We developed these best practices to help you avoid costly, time-consuming delays and...to get it right the first time.

Frequently asked permitting questions

If you are looking for a water supply for a project or want to make changes to an existing water right, visit: https://ecology.wa.gov/Water-Shorelines/Water-supply/Water-rights and contact your regional Department of Ecology office with additional questions. 

To install a mooring buoy on state-owned aquatic lands, you will need authorization from the state Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR).   You may also need additional permits; however, this is the first step.  Residential landowners adjacent to state-aquatic lands may qualify for a free buoy.  If you don’t qualify for a free buoy, you can apply for a Mooring Buoy License.   For more information, visit DNR’s mooring buoy webpage, and for assistance, contact DNR at 360-902-1100 or via email at buoy@dnr.wa.gov

 To apply: 

  1. Fill out the Joint Aquatic Resources Permit Application (JARPA) and Attachment E:  Click here for forms & attachments

  1. Use the JARPA Buoy Guidance to help you complete your application. 

  1. Before applying for any other permits, send your completed application and other documents to DNR. 

Mail your completed application with a $25.00 Application Fee to:

DNR, Aquatic Resources Division
Attn: Mooring Buoy Program
1111 Washington ST SE; MS: 47021
Olympia, WA 98501 

  1. DNR will review your application and contact you with any additional requirements, questions or provide you with your next steps. 

The Gold and Fish Pamphlet serves as the permit for freshwater mineral prospecting and mining activities as described in it. 
For more information, visit: https://wdfw.wa.gov/licenses/environmental/hpa/types/prospecting and contact the Washington State  Department of Fish and Wildlife at 360-902-2200 with additional questions 

Typically, if you are doing work in or near water, a Shoreline permit is required from your local jurisdiction (city/county) planning department.  We recommend contacting them first as they should be able to assist you with any other required permits and would most likely be the lead agency if a State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) review is required. 

Depending on the location and other factors, a permit may be also be required from the following agencies: 

  • Department of Ecology

  • Department of Natural Resources 

  • Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife 

  • US Army Corp of Engineers 

  • US Coast Guard 

To streamline the environmental permitting process, several regulatory agencies joined together to create one application that can be used to apply for more than one permit at a time, titled: The Joint Aquatic Resource Permit Application or JARPA.   For more information, visit: the JARPA page

Permit Schematics

DescriptionFile NameDownload
Air Operating Permit (AOP)
Air-Operating-Permit-Schematics.pdf [ver. 3]
Air Quality Notice of Construction (NOC) Permit
Air-Quality-Notice-Of-Construction-Permit-Schematics.pdf [ver. 3]
Aquatic Use Authorization
Agricultural Field Burn Permit
Burn-Permit-Agricultural-Field-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Agricultural Pile Burn Permit
Burn-Permit-Agricultural-Pile-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Land Clearing Burn Permit
Burn-Permit-Land-Clearing-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Citizen Proponent Negotiation (CPN)
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Class 1 Modification (Requires No Prior Approval)
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Class 1 Modification (Requires Prior Approval)
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Class 2 Modification
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Class 3 Modification
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Modification Class Determination
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - New Permit
Dangerous-Waste-New-Permit-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Dangerous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility - Renewal
Fish Habitat Enhancement Project
Hydraulic Project Approval (HPA)
Industrial Stormwater Permit - Termination Process
Industrial Stormwater Permit - Transfer Process
Large On-Site Sewage System Operating Permit (Between 3,500 and 100,000 gpd)
National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
New Water Right Permit Process
New-Water-Right-Permit-Process-Schematics.pdf [ver. 4]
Notice of Intent (NOI) and Siting Criteria
NPDES Construction Stormwater General Permit
NPDES Individual Permit
NPDES Industrial Stormwater General Permit
NPDES - Sand & Gravel Permit for Non-Portable Facilities and State Waste Discharge Permit
NPDES - Sand & Gravel Permit for Portable Facilities and State Waste Discharge Permit
Permit for Discharge of Dredge or Fill Material (Section 404)
Permit-For-Discharge-Of-Dredge-Or-Fill-Materials-Section-404-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Permit for Work in Navigable Waters (Section 10)
Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) - Air Quality Permit
Prevention-of-Significant-Deterioration-PSD-Air-Quality-Permit-Schematics.pdf [ver. 4]
Radioactive Air Emission Approval to Construct
Radioactive Air Emission Exemption from Approval to Construct and License to Operate
Radioactive Air Emission License to Operate New Facility or Modification of an Existing Source (New Construction or Abatement)
Radioactive-Air-Emission-License-Operate-Modify-Existing-Source-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Radioactive Air Emission Modification/Revision Approval to Construct (New Construction or Abatement Controls)
Radioactive-Air-Emission-Modification-Revision-Approval-To-Construct-Controls-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Shoreline Conditional Use Permit and Variance
Shoreline Substantial Development Permit
State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) (For Non-GMA Agencies)
State-Environmental-Policy-Act-NonGMA-Agencies-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
State Wastewater Discharge Permit
US Army Corp of Engineers Administrative Appeal Process - Link G
US-Army-Corps-Of-Engineers-Administrative-Appeal-Link-G-Schematics.pdf [ver. 2]
Water Conservancy Board - Change Existing Water Right
Water-Conservancy-Board-Schematics.pdf [ver. 3]
New Water Right Permit Process
Water-Rights-Change-Permit-Schematics.pdf [ver. 3]
Wetland Regulations
Wetland-Regulations-Schematics.pdf [ver. 4]